Saturday, March 1, 2008

Les Contamines



Les Contamines is in the French Alps. I visited my French cousins in February 2004 and took a photo of this scene while skiing down the slopes. I didn't take the photo while actually in the act of skiing, but while taking a break from skiing. I hadn't skied in 16 years(!) and so it took a long time for me to get down a slope that would take an experienced skier 10-15 minutes. However, each time I took a break, (or fell), I was able to take in the beauty of the Alps and take a photo. I was lucky I didn't smash my camera during my tumbles or break my leg for that matter. After skiing down this long slope, I went back up the mountain to visit with my cousins during lunch. Afterwards, I stayed at the lodge, which was just a large deck outdoors, and painted a small water color of the mountains. The temperature was about 25 degrees F that day, but with the cloudless sky, there was enough sun to paint and not form ice crystals till about 3:15 when the sun was starting to dip. That painting was very simple, but a French lady saw it and asked to buy it. So I sold it for 25 Euros!

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

The mountains are beautiful. They feel cold.